As most of you already know, Rick and I are opening an Anytime Fitness in Fredericksburg. To say it hasn’t been one headache after another would be a lie. I’d say this whole process ranks right up there with running through a stress fracture, almost not graduating from grad school, and then graduating a semester later, riding my bike in a 40mph head wind for 50+ miles, and let’s see…what else??? Well, you get the point.
In order for me to distract myself from being negative about it, I’ve decided to list the “little things” I am looking forward to in opening our very own fitness center. My list is in no order of importance, and is pretty much random. Enjoy 🙂
1. Since all of my previous jobs have been in a fitness center over the past 10yrs, I know what I like and don’t like. Therefore, if something bothers me about our club I will be able to do something about it.
2. I know what it’s like to be a personal trainer and how insulting it is to have a degree and a personal training certification and make less money than a bagger at HEB. Therefore, I know what it takes to treat employees respectfully.
3. The restrooms will NOT have time released air fresheners. Nothing bothers me more than when I am going to the restroom and that stupid thing starts spraying every 10 seconds. “Ummm, excuse me, but I’m only peeing. It doesn’t stink; so quit wasting your spray!”
4. While we’re talking about restrooms; we will NOT have automatic flushing toilets. Those things don’t save the environment anymore than GWB tried saving the environment. I very much dislike when the toilet sprays my butt and flushes at least 3 times before I am really even finished. What….a waste of water! And then you’ve got wet pants…annoying!
5. We have ordered kettlebells that both my hands can fit through. I hate using kettlebells that aren’t big enough, thus my pinky fingers stick out and any move overhead becomes dangerous, causing that kettlebell to flop all over the place!
6. There will be NO carpet in the entire gym. Carpet in a fitness center is grossa-ma-jossa! Enough said.
7. I’m working on getting my step dad to build me some outdoor pull up bars.
8. We’re going to do so well that we will be able to expand the fitness center and I can offer cycling classes! That would be awesome.
I’ll keep thinking about the positives as I sit here at pre-sale. So far I have failed on my lenten promise, but today is a new day to not focus on the negatives and be optimistic!